This hotel was designed by a well-known Russian architect and was built and opened in 1937. In 1978 it was classified as a protected building. It has accommodated Mao Zedong, Zhou Enlai and other party and state leaders, as well as celebrities from home and abroad. Nowadays the establishment comprises a total of 128 guest rooms and suites, and features facilities such as shopping malls, a beauty salon centre, a lobby bar, a range of restaurants, a business centre, conference facilities, including multi-functional rooms and a banquet hall, and Internet access. Guests arriving by car can leave their vehicles in the nearby car park.